Freitag, 4. September 2009

study abroad experience

Today I'm writing about my lerning progress during this language program. I' ll combine the last two blog entries, beacause the themes are similar.

Our days here in Cincinnati were divided into two parts. In the morning we had a study trip to a museum or an another cultural highlight of the State of Ohio and in the afternoon we discussed several issues belonging to the theme of the study trip. After we discussed these issues and later on we written our blog entries to sum up the day. These blog entries was rectified by our teachers Ruth and Jody and they gave us hints about the using of formal and informal language.

What have I learned in this three weeks? In my opinion my English bettered in speaking, writing and understanding slangs, because our persons in charge, Debbie, Ruth, Jody, Chuck, Jason, Gary, and Nick, were around us nearly all the time, so I could train my listening by having small talks and discussions about different topics.

The most important knowledge, which was given to me in these three weeks, was the process of adjustment in a new country, the different stages and feeling in the stages. In my opinion this is a very important knowledge, because you can carry this experience to any other country in the world, so it probably would be easier for me, if I'll leaving my home country. I also learned to orient myself in a new country.
An another experience is the language, of course. I learned much about the using of formal and informal language. Formal for writing the blogs, informal for speaking to native american citizens.

In Germany, we haven't such a language program with blogs and so on. We have traditional language courses with themes about economy and engineering, but this is almost boring. You sit in the classroom, listen to the teacher, who isn't even a native speaker, and don't learn something else as vocabulary.

In the last three weeks we learned much about the American culture and the every day life in the U.S, whether if it was a barbecue, a museum, a brewery, a church, a mosque, a mall, a lake, and the campus of the UC, so thanks a lot for this great time!

1 Kommentar:

  1. Hi Thommy,

    It was nice to meet you during these three weeks in Cincinnati. I hope you enjoy your vacation in New York. Good luck with your future studies.

    AntwortenLöschen