Montag, 24. August 2009

Language in Ohio and Illinois

After spending one Weekend in Chicago, I"m writing about the language, that is used in Ohio and Illinois.



The usage of the language is very different in the U.S. Some citizens speak in slang, so they have their own words and spelling. They"re sometimes difficult to understand, If you're new in this states you have to acclimate for a few days.
But some are also don"t speak slang, their language spelling is quite clear and easily to understand.
I noticed, that one phrase stuck out when I was in Chicago at the weekend. They often use "take care" instead of "see you" for saying good bye.

In Germany are also some language differences between the regions. You can divide them in four big groups: southern, eastern, western and northern accent. For my personal opinion, the southern accent like the Bavarian slang, is most difficult to understand. The Bavarian slang has its own words and spelling. Even a native can't understand this slang. The simplest slang for me is the western slang, for instance the Rhenish accent. They may have its own words and its own spelling, but is easily to understand them.

I think you must divide the situations. When the people are in formal conversations they may use the formal language for speaking. But when they are at a barbecue aso, they use slang.

My English also changed a little bit. At school I learned British English. So I have to adjust my spelling a little bit to the American English.

1 Kommentar:

  1. British English and American English are different in some key words, like trousers vs. pants, and biscuits vs. cookies, but on the whole the two are very similar. In writing there are the spellings that are different, and some verbs remain irregular in BE. However, what I find most different between the two is the forms of politeness. The British seem to consider it polite to create more distance between the two people, and the Americans close that distance with what seems like friendliness, but is just politeness. I think American friendliness can be confusing because it isn't really friendly, it is just polite.

    AntwortenLöschen